I really love doing interior renderings, though they seem to take the most time to get right. Maybe it’s the challenge of it that I enjoy. In any case, I am continuing to prepare additional images for the Georgetown mansion, and the new images are done so that the design of the rooms that haven’t been finished can be shown to prospective clients.
It’s wonderful to see a disused historic building get some attention and some life brought back to it. This warehouse that has been mostly vacant is getting a residential makeover. These illustrations show how the small front yards will give the new residential units a privacy buffer and help them blend in better with the adjacent houses.
Existing warehouse building
Proposed residential conversion
New rooftop rooms and terraces
It was fun to have both of these projects in process during this month. These two projects couldn’t be much more different. The first project is a single family residential that is on a heavily wooded lot. It’s a traditionally styled house with wood and stucco. The rendering is in a watercolor illustration style and was prepared for presentation to an architectural review board.
The second project is a contemporary/ modern styled 6 story mixed-use apartment building on the H street corridor in Washington, DC. This rendering was completed for their marketing website and the idea was to do a photo realistic render to give it a sense of liveliness and urban context.
The interesting twist to this recent rendering project was that this existing rowhouse in DC would be recreated in the empty building lot directly adjacent to the site. I generated the renderings and schematic floor plans for marketing and historic review presentations that the client was preparing. I had just some basic information from a site plat, so I filled in the rest of the elevations from photos and a few field measurements.
Existing building and empty lot next door.
Maxed out lot with parking spots.
There was one big commission that ended up taking me most of the month of November to complete, and I (and the client and architect) are quite pleased with the results. The client is working on redeveloping an incomplete house renovation, and needed to have some high quality images to present at an open house early in December. The deadline pushed me to find the best workflow to generate these high resolution images with lots of 3D detail. I ended up using vray for Blender on this project, as I was able to use proxy meshes to add lots of luxury details and still be able to manage the model.
I initially prepared some exterior renderings for the project in October, which were done using vray for Sketchup. I also did all of the modeling in Sketchup and imported the components into Blender. This is a front elevation rendering that I did early on.
I had one funny anecdote relayed to me from the open house. A person looking at the images asked why they had torn all that interior work out, and it needed to be explained that these are photo-real renderings, the house never actually looked like this.
Here is a sampling of the final set of images. You can also see the whole gallery and the house marketing website here: www.williams-addisonhouse.com