Good Stuff

I’ve been fortunate to work on some personally inspiring projects the past few months.

Starting off was a really sweet modern design for a large private residence. The design was done by an architect I’ve helped out with renderings on other similar projects. This time, instead of just a simple 3D massing study, I was tasked with making a more realistic rendering showing the site. The house sits up on the crest of a small hill, and the angles come from a responsed to two primary view sheds. I used V-ray proxies to be able to render the vegetation in 3D and give the image much greater realism. This was rendered in Sketchup, but I use Blender to bring in the trees and make the V-ray proxies that I can then bring in to Sketchup.

Mod5_render02-final

Mod5_render03-final

The next design I worked on was a floating semi-spiral stair that I helped design for a local design-build firm. I was given the general configuration then looked at how to make the geometry fit the space and options for how to detail the pieces. This is a house I’ve been drafting the blueprints for as well, plus have done exterior 3D studies throughout the course of the project.

PF-interior-1111-view3c

PF-interior-1102-view3B

PF-interiors1030-3

I’ve finally gotten back to doing some computer generated video, this time doing a set of fly-over animations of three apartment projects in DC that are currently under construction. For these, I took the Sketchup models I’d already completed when I did the exterior renderings, and brought them into Blender. I find Sketchup is very limited in the ability to control animation, as it uses a very basic interpolation between still scenes, which gives the camera a sort of yo-yo feel where it bounces between the keyframes. With Blender I can draw a smooth curved path for the camera to follow. Fortunately, the developer of Blender for V-ray has done a great job with the program, and I was able to easily set up the model for rendering. I’m really pleased with how these came out.



A wildflower meadow was my task for this last project. Again, I used the Sketchup to Blender workflow to bring this into Blender for rendering with V-ray. With Blender particle physics, and vray proxies, I was able to render out an entire field of flowers in full 3D (I added in some people in Photoshop later to give a bit of scale.) I’m so grateful for the technological tools that allow for basically unlimited artistic expression!

OD-landscape3D_06