Wrapping up the year with some massing studies, and a revision to an earlier project. The main revision to last month’s project was adding in a landscaping plan, but there were also some tweaks to the architecture plus generating some additional views. I could not have pulled off this rendering without Vray for Blender, as the landscaping took quite a lot of computing power to generate in 3D.
This massing study was a quick conceptual project that needed a convincing representation of the existing building, but still keeping a loose feel. The illustration style allowed for reviewing a few variations of the concept without too much emphasis on the details. Here is the photo of the existing conditions, with two versions of the studies following.
This fall has been packed, with great projects all around. The first pair of images shows a proposed stone bridge that would be part of a new entrance road at a historic site. This rendering request came as a direct result of the success of my previous landscape project where I modeled a bridge and dam structure. I used Vray for Blender for this project as well, and I was very pleased with how the stonework came out in the 3D model.
I also had a few interior rendering projects. It seems most new floorplans are quite open, so there is a lot to show in terms of how the spaces flow from living room to dining room to kitchen and any connected outdoor spaces. I usually take several views to show the dynamic qualities of the spaces.
I’ve also been working on some larger scale developments. This next project is an exterior design of a multi-family residential complex that is being built in a location that requires city design review. I’ve been involved in generating 3D exterior views throughout the design and the review process. We are hopeful this will be the final iteration and the review process will be complete.
Last, but certainly not least, I’ve been working on a high-end mixed-use building project that included preparing a high-quality rendered walk-through of the lobby and the residential units. The following are some stills from the project, as well as a link to the marketing page where you can see the video. You can also view the video on my vimeo page.
I am continuing my transition to rendering in Vray for Blender coming from Vray for Sketchup. Here are two interior projects, the first one done in Vray for Sketchup, the second one is done in Vray for Blender. The biggest reason for the switch is the huge speed and render quality improvements in Vray 3.4, plus I have a large animation project coming up and I can only do that properly in Blender (The animation controls in Sketchup are practically non-existent.)
Vray for Sketchup interior renders
…and Vray for Blender interior renders
Between projects and vacations, I’ve had some time to get up to speed with the latest version of the V-ray rendering software and the Blender 3D modeling program. This pair of images are from a model I used both to produce images for a project, and as a way to test some of the neat new features of the software, Chief among them is a much faster rendering engine that cut my computer processing time by almost ten-fold!
This next pair was also rendered in Vray for Blender, used for an exterior scene.
These are some other marketing images I prepared recently. One is for new residential construction, and the other one is a facade renovation for a familiar local Charlottesville retail location.